Monday, September 1, 2008

Red Tide

When I was about 5, I cut the back of my head open when I jumped off my brother's back into the corner of a wall (my brother will tell you that it made me dumber). My mom was frantic, and so was I, when I saw the pool of blood on the floor of the kitchen (my brother might also tell you this is where part of my brains leaked out). But, she calmed down, put a towel on my head and got me to the hospital for stitches. The towel she used was ruined because of all the blood that stained it. You know what's amazing though, there was one person who came into this world who's blood has the opposite effect.

In Isaiah, the prophet writes as one of the most figurative and literal forseers of the coming redemption of sin through Jesus Christ's death. One of the coolest metaphors that is used throughout the Bible is the bleaching power of Jesus Christ's blood that was shed on the cross. In verse 18 (NIV), "says the Lord, 'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow, though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.'" Isn't that just insane to think about? The most persistant staining agent in the world will be our salvation! That is just one of the coolest things about our God. He knows how to blow our minds.

Try this one for size: As we go about expanding our comfort zones and reaching out to those who do not know Him, try blowing their mind with some of the cool things of God's redemptive power. Let them know that Jesus is free and that his blood is the best bleach ever invented. They will have to stop and think about that one. It may give them that pause where God will ring the doorbell to their heart....................and they might just open the door.

Amazed as always,
Jesus Freak Out!

No comments: