Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Not Exactly Lost Keys

I hate when that happens. I am running 5 minutes late as it is. The last place I put my keys was on the night stand next to my bed. At least that is what I remember. But I will look and look and look until I have found them because I have to get somewhere in a hurry. Sound familiar? I bet it happens to me in the morning just for bringing this up.

But have we ever sought God like we have our lost keys? I know there are many times that I have not. In Deuteronomy, Moses begins outlining the original law (from God) about the forbidance of idol worship. Okay, so Jesus also outlined this during his ministry on earth, allbeit referencing more intangible idols. But Moses was inspired to write the following in 4:29 (NIV): "But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find [H]im if you look for [H]im with all your heart and all your soul." Sometimes, the only time we really seek "Him with all our heart and all our soul" is when we think we have lost something........not when we think we have lost Him. It's time to change our perspective.

Try this on for size: We must find those "idols" in our lives that stand in the way of our relationship with Christ. When we can totally focus on Him by pushing aside ourselves, even when times are good, then we are close enough to here Him talk to us. And when we listen, we will do as the Spirit leads and "seek" not only Him, but for His heart: those who do not know Him personally.

Trying to get rid of my Golden Calf,
Jesus Freak Out!

No comments: