Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'll Kill You, Daddy!

Tonight was an interesting night in our household for one reason or another. But something my little three year old son said to me really got my blood boiling and my heart breaking. Tonight I was on the receiving end of the words I just used in the title of this post from my own son.........and it scared me as a father. As well as a Christ follower. Now he had no idea what he was saying, he was just repeating what he heard at day care. But it still scared me and pierced straight to the core of my heart.

Sometimes we joke about these words with friends. Other times we may think about them momentarily in the deep dark recesses of our concious thoughts and then brush them away as easily as we do the dust from a shelf. Tonight, though, I think I caught a brief glimpse of what Christ experienced the night before and the day of his crucifixion. In no way am I implying that I could remotely feel what Christ went through becoming sin for us and dying on that hunk of wood. But for that brief second tonight, it gave me a teeny tiny glimpse of that feeling.

Think about this, though. When we take Christ out of all that we do, in essence we are saying to Him, "I'll kill you!" I'll kill you from my everyday life. I'll kill you from my family life. I'll kill you off from how I make my decisions. I'll kill you off from where I am going to take my life. I'll kill you off from every moment of my life except for my 1 hour on Sundays, and maybe 20 minutes a day during the week when I am asking for what I want and not what You want. I'll kill you again Jesus because of my own disobedience.

Will we keep on killing Jesus from every aspect of our lives and tell Him that He died in vain for us? We might as well go back 2000 years to the day of his crucifixion and just be one of the other Jews spitting and tormenting Him as he bears our sin and we yell, "I'll kill you!"

Reflecting,
Jesus Freak Out!

No comments: