Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Earliest Known Ultrasound

I didn't really send out a message on Christmas day, and as usual in my life, I am a little slow to get things rolling. But I am working on that and it is also a post for another day. But yesterday, actually this morning, I started thinking about the day Jesus was born and the time leading up to that in Mary's and Joseph's lives.

It must have been hard, trying to keep the pregnancy quiet since conception happened outside of wedlock (bad juju, especially in those days when they would have most likely stoned her to death). But I realized something this morning, after contemplating the amazing things I was privileged to see with our technology today. I was able to see and know that my wife and I will be having another son. Mary was afforded the same privilege by God: she knew she was going to have a son and that he would be the greatest man to ever walk this earth. He would be the Son of God. Until modern technology, no family about to have a new child ever knew what sex the child would be before it was born, except Mary and Joseph. Isn't that awesome?

I wish I could have been living in the time of Mary and Joseph, to watch the birth of Jesus. But I ask myself sometimes, without the honor of knowing what the Bible says now, would I have believed that Jesus was the Messiah? Would I have become a follower of His teachings without seeing the miracles he performed? It's the same for our time, only we have the Truth in written form for us to look at, and yet it takes faith to believe what it says. Do we believe wholeheartedly or just the portions that fit our lifestyle and "beliefs"? Think about it. I have been.

Reforming my presuppositions,
Jesus Freak Out!

No comments: