Monday, January 12, 2009

The Bible Thumper

The other day at work I was talking with one of my managers and during our conversation, he called me a bible thumper. I hadn't even quoted a single Scripture to him yet. Let me tell you, I was a little less than happy because the first thing that comes to my mind is the folks I used to see on the campus concourse while I was at Auburn. We all know who they are, the ones at pro football games and other sports events who hold up the signs that say repent because the world is coming to and end and hurl insults at the people passing by. At Auburn, they were even worse. A fellow cadet from the ROTC detachment was walking by one of these "thumpers" in his uniform one day, when they looked right at him and called him a baby killer. When I heard that it, it about sent me through the roof. Now I wasn't a Christ follower then, although I liked to call myself one, but this was going too far and for a long time, I never wanted my name associated with Christ because of the negative connotation it brought along with it.

My story on following Christ has changed quite a bit from 10 years ago and so has my outlook on how we should share Him with others. In Luke chapter 10, Jesus sends the 72 disciples out across Israel to all the towns and villages. He gave them explicit instructions on how they were to conduct themselves and how they were to treat those they met. In verse 5, he gives straightforward answers on how we are to introduce the Truth to non-believers: "When you enter a house, first say, 'Peace to this house.'" Peace is what God intends, and that is where we are to start.

Jesus was not just talking about the 72 disciples. He was referring to all of us who are commanded to go out and teach the Truth. When we walk up to someone, anyone, and start pointing the finger and rambling off bible verses as if we were Christ incarnate, we alienate, belittle, and put ourselves on a pedestal. We are no better than the person standing next to us. The only difference between us and them is that our eyes have been opened and our hearts have been captured by the amazing and powerful God of this universe. That's it. Plain and simple.

Peace to this heart is what we should be praying as we approach a soul who is in desperate need of the one who sent His Son to this earth to die for the sins of the world. What an honor to be working for such a great God. What an honor to be working for the one who gave me so much and expects so little in comparison to His gift. What an honor to take up my teeny, tiny, itsy-bitsy little cross for Him daily, and follow His word and Spirit. It brings me to my knees, literally.

"Peace to [your] house,"
Jesus Freak Out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a new creature in Christ.