Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Exit Stage Right

"A leper came to him, begging on his knees, 'If you want to, you can cleanse me.'.......Jesus dismissed him with strict orders: 'Say nothing to anyone........'"  Mark 1:40-44 MSG

Center Stage, the Spotlight, the Limelight, Focal Point, the Headliner, Front and Center.  These are all names for the position where everyone focuses their attention, whether it be during a show, a concert, or some other event.  But what happens when this becomes our focus and drive, versus making sure people hear the message of Jesus Christ?

The focus turns from God and we try to put it on us.  When things start going wrong, our focus turns to how we can honor ourselves and make "ME" look better, instead of ensuring God looks better.  When Jesus was healing the sick and telling them not to let others know about it, he really had 2 purposes:  number one, He wanted to ensure his Father received the glory for these deeds and not him (ehhhem, in other words, not seeking the spotlight), and number two, he was not ready for his ministry to takeoff.  He was calculating the precise time he would have to face off with the pharisees in order to fulfill his ministry here on earth and the will of the Father.

I struggle with this sometimes in the ministries I work with.  I play drums, and really enjoy playing music at church and other functions.  But what is my motivation when playing?  Is it to get my name out there and SHOW others that I am honoring God with my talents, or am I doing it strictly out of service to God? How easily we can gray the lines between the two.  When I speak and teach, am I doing it to teach someone about God and his awesome power, or am I looking for approval from others that I did a good job and really "brought the message?"

Think about your motivations before you enter into ministry or service for God.  Then ensure your focus is God, and not you.  I have to often.  Do you?

Freak

No comments: