Sunday, November 2, 2008

Baptism by Fire


I have heard this saying more than once in my life and it had nothing to do with Jesus Christ. When I was a brand spankin' new 2nd Lt in the Air Force, I was put in leadership positions that some could only say were baptism by fire. At 23, right out of college, I was in charge of groups of aircraft maintainers as large as 180. It was daunting, and I was entrusted with a great deal of responsibility from the get go, with no prior experience; sounds a lot like someone else we know.

When John the Baptist was preaching and paving the way for the coming of Jesus' ministry here on earth, he told all those who came to listen to him that, "I baptize you with water, but [H]e will baptize you with the Holy Spirit" (Mark 1:8 NIV). Other translations say that He was coming to baptize us with fire. Until now, I did not really know what this meant. It is now clear.

Our "baptism by fire" and the "Holy Spirit" means that God has put us in charge of spreading the Truth. If we have truly changed our hearts towards the things of Christ, then upon our baptism, we are filled with the Holy Spirit and entrusted with the responsibility of spreading the Truth. As brand new Christ followers, we do not have a great deal of experience. But that is exactly who God is looking for to spread His message and help Him bring people into that relationship. If God were advertising for the job of a Christ follower, it might read something like this: "No experience required just a heart willing to follow. Will provide all things needed. Faith a must."

Applying for my position,
Jesus Freak Out!

No comments: