Monday, November 10, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

Well, after taking a few days to relax from blogging, take in the election, take in the fact that I'm gonna be a dad again, and learning to fly a new airplane, I am back at it again 6 of 7 days a week.

Lately I have been having a spirited conversation with a close family member over e-mail about the new scene of our political landscape. Yah, I know, I must let it go and be the better man. I must concentrate on showing the truth over showing my political views. But through this conversation, I believe that God has been shining through. I have been called names, persecuted for being a believer, and cursed for some of the things that I have said. But, I have been working hard not to boil over and fight back in the same fashion. I think it is working.

As Paul was working to set straight the ways of the believers in Corinth, his first letter highlights a mighty truth in how we should conduct ourselves when we are attacked for our belief in Jesus Christ. "When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly" (1 Cor 4:12-13 NIV). So, how do we react when we are attacked and persecuted for Christ? Do we complain and whine that God is not treating us fairly? Do we lash out at the person sending the grenade our way? Or do we show humility and strength by taking our lick on the chin and smiling in spite of the heart ache?

It's a difficult road as a Christian. It is a road often mired by defeat, isolation, humiliation, and embarassment. But when we seek the face of God in all that we do, we can endure through any persecution by shining His light on the situation and not stooping to the level of the attack.

Disclaimer: This family member is a great person with a huge heart. They are passionate and they did not cross a great line that they did not apologize for. I can only hope that I reacted in a Christ like fashion when I responded each time.

Hit me again,
Jesus Freak Out!

No comments: