Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Same Thing

"A person without self-control is like a house with its doors and windows knocked out." Prov 25:28 MSG

Epiphanies can really hurt sometimes.  Self evaluation after those epiphanies makes me want to crawl in a hole and never come out.  Why?  Because when we have an epiphany, a realization, an Ah-Ha moment in life, most likely that means God is prompting us to change something in our lives.  That has been happening to me for a long time now, but one of the most painful of all realizations came to me this morning. 

First off, I am dead tired.  Soddy Daisy, Chattanooga, Jasper, Hixson, Chattanooga, Dalton, Augusta, Dalton, Soddy Daisy. I spent 18 and a half hours yesterday on a whirlwind flying/driving extravaganza.  I literally rolled into my house at 2:30 this morning only to have to get back up at 7:30.  That's when the pain started, not from any headache or hangover, nor sleepless night or cold.  No, no, it came from God, his Holy Spirit. 

I literaly had a conversation (one way mind you) with God this morning on the way to the airport, and you know what I heard:  looks like someone needs to re-wire a little bit of themselves.  I'm not talking a full on overhaul, I'm talking just a small little re-route.  I pleaded with God, arguing that this was the way he had made me.  I thought I heard a laugh but wasn't sure.  What I heard was confirmation that I really was being moved by the spirit.  Time to act.

Remember these words:  self-control and self-discipline are the same thing.  Anyone who tries to split hairs is either an English major, or someone who doesn't want to face the fact that they lack both. That's what I realized this morning:  I kind of lack a little bit of the same thing these 2 contractions represent. I'm not talking full on no self control, can't keep my brain mouth filter in check, let my thoughts always get the best of me type of self control.  I'm talking, get your but in gear, stop procrastinating and get something done for your God, family and friends kind of self control. 

Picture this.....................(and I will paint that picture over the next few posts)

Freak

No comments: