Sunday, May 13, 2012

Be Wary Who You Listen To

"Judges sell verdicts to the highest bidder, priests mass-market their teaching, prophets teach for high fees, all the while posturing and pretending dependence on God: "We've got God on our side. He'll protect us from disaster."  Micah 3:11 MSG

In my life, there have been many people I once considered close who I now consider far away because of the things I let them try and put into my head.  Some were friends, others were family, but all taught me one invaluable lesson in life: be careful who I let influence my heart and mind, especially when it comes to my walk with Christ. 

I can remember one person who constantly tried to justify to me that chasing after the finer things in life was great when we made sure we used it for the work of God.  And he was right, but what didn't line up with my conscience (a.k.a. the Holy Spirit), was that this person's chasing after God was not really used for the good of the kingdom.  It was used for self benefit, self promotion, and was really just a way to justify the love of money, versus love of God's people.

We have to be careful who we trust and listen to.  Know and study them and carefully look at their motives:  who is out for money and fame, or who is truly out to serve God?  Do they tell you how to conduct your life, or do they merely give you advice based on Biblical truth?

Those who cared most about what God was doing in my life never tried to tell me what I need to do in life and then start pounding me over the head with Bible verses.  What they did do for me was ask that I go seek and search for the answers myself.

Is it time to solely stop listening to others and begin finding the answer God intended for us to find.  Begin to read and allow God into your life.  Be authentic, and He will reveal the world to you.

Freak

No comments: