Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Frog in Boiling Water

"Those who worship hollow gods, god-frauds, walk away from their only true love." Jonah 2:8 MSG

I really hope God will not be mad at me over this post, but here goes.  For the past few weeks I have kind of been experimenting with what it's like to follow hard after God and then what its like to be lukewarm, you know just enough to get by.  Here is the one truth I realized as I got out of the shower this morning (I do a lot of thinking in the shower and while running):  my life starts to break down without that constant in my life.  I start to become grumpy, irritable, and mostly almost depressed.  I lose focus easily and I begin to channel my energies to the negative instead of the positive things in my life. It is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced.

Fall away from God for a while and I bet you will begin to see the same things in your life.  What's funny though is that this process does not happen over night.  It is a slow fade.  There is a song out there somewhere about the slow fade when you give your heart away.  When we give our heart away to other things in life- money, kids, work, busy-ness, sports, TV, internet, etc- we start to slowly fade away from the one true love we have in life- God and Jesus Christ. It's like the frog in boiling water-  put him in before the water starts boiling and he wont feel the hot water until its too late........

I have also learned over the past few weeks that there will be seasons like this in life.  Its not avoiding these seasons, but recognizing them and working hard to maintain the relationship with God.  Don't try and be perfect either, it will drive you absolutely crazy. Beleive me, I've tried it.  What I have been working on is picking myself up the next day when I fail to connect and start anew.  God doesn't want perfection, he wants authenticity with us. 

Time to focus and commit.

Freak

No comments: