Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"What we've got here is failure to communicate....."

(Title is taken from a sound bite at the beginning of Guns 'n Roses "Civil War")

How many of us have ever taken the easy way out and sent an e-mail instead of picking up the phone or just going and visiting someone? I know I have. It's the fast paced world that we live in where we have so much to do and so little time, we just feel we have done our duty by sending an e-mail, or a quick text message. We feel as though we have met the need of someone in quick, 120 character snipits. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our connected world is making us more and more disconnected.

Let's look back in time about 30 years. Rotary phones were still in and touch tone phones were just coming of age. The first "cellular" or "car" phones were being made and cost an arm and a leg to buy. How did we communicate back then? I can remember picking up the phone and actually talking with someone on the other line or getting the annoying busy signal and trying back later. Or, I just hopped on my bike and road over to their house.

Think about John and the the first century A.D. They obviously didn't have phones and tin cans were still years down the road. Pen and paper were the only means of communication over distances, besides actually visiting. Communication has become a lost art, contrary to what we might think.

I was reading through 2 John the night before last with a friend and 3 John tonight and it hit me. He concluded both letters the same way: "I had much to write to you, but I would rather not write with pen and ink. I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face" (3 John 13-14). Talk face to face? What an idea. Imagine what we can accomplish with new believers and non-believers when we invest time in talking face to face, or at least voice to voice, instead of fingertip to fingertip. I was guilty of the fingertip dance tonight as a matter of fact.

Guilty of communication failure,
Jesus Freak Out!

1 comment:

Blaine said...

I would say don't feel guilty about the fingertip dance. Technology will only allow us to be more disconnected if we let it. The key is to let it ENHANCE your communication rather than REPLACE it.

But I guess if you disagree, you were already judging me for leaving a blog comment instead of driving to your house to say this...