Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Excellence in All We Do

I am not trying to tout on my work ethic here, but ever since I started working, I tried to be the best I could at anything I was doing, whether it was fueling airplanes at the local airport in college or prosecuting my unit's little corner of the War on Terror in Afghanistan. It's a pride thing with me that I have to get over, but I always wanted to be better than the next guy. I always wanted to be the BEST!

Now, let's apply this to our walks with Christ. As we live out our lives, hopefully with the guidance of God, we must strive to be the best at everything................for HIM! Too many times, and I am probably the most guilty, we try to be the best for someone or something else, beit ourselves or those who have power over us. Our priority is skewed. Proverbs 16:3 sums up in 12 words how we should look upon our labors daily and for the kingdom: "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." It's that simple. If we do everything as if we were doing it for Christ himself, then how can it go wrong?

Now, don't take this as if I am saying that nothing could possibly fall short just because we are doing it for Him. What I am saying is, our outlook on life will change dramatically because our priority is on God and not on ourselves. When we serve ourselves, good comes for a short while but it cannot be sustained because we see failure through our own eyes. When we serve God, good will come forever because our success or failure is not measured in human terms. When we fail with God, we still win because we learn and grow. When we fail with only ourselves, we just fail and most of the time we can't see the forest for the trees.

Dusting the TV screen for a better persepective,
Jesus Freak Out!

No comments: