Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Resurrection

Question of the Day:  why is the birth of Jesus celebrated so much more than His death and resurrection?  This has been a question I have had for a very long time.  Many will argue that there would be no crucifixion and subsequent raising from the dead had Jesus not been born, so it is more important to celebrate His birth.  But I beg to differ.  There would be no salvation without his death and resurrection. The blood He shed for each and every one of us on the cross would not be possible if Christ had decided not to abide by the will of the Father.

"And going a little farther, he fell on his face and prayed, saying, 'My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but what you will.'"  Matthew 26:39

"And he said, 'Abba, Father, all things are possible for you.  Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.'"  Mark 14:36

"And he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and knelt down and prayed saying, 'Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me.  Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.'" Luke 22:41-42

Three of the four gospels confirm that Jesus could just have easily done his own thing, as take up his final cross for us and spill his blood for our salvation and forgiveness.  In Jesus' final prayer in the garden, according to John, Jesus even hints at the fact that he could have made that decision.  So my questions still remains, why do we celebrate Christmas as the penultimate holiday to celebrate Christ, yet for the most part, we give Easter a cursory recognition?  Is just a reason for us to take 2 weeks vacation from school at the end of the year?  Does it give us other reasons to conclude the year on a high note?

Who knows.  I vote for a change to the status quo across the board.  Let's celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection as much, if not more than, we do His birth.  It just might change our outlook on the gift we have been given by the Father.

Please don't take this as an indictment on anyone or any organization.  I am just as guilty.

I'm just saying,
Freak

No comments: