Sunday, September 13, 2009

Served or Servant?

Which type of person do you want to be? The one who is served or the one who is the servant.

To many times I have watched as "members" of churches sit back and wait to be served. They sit in the pews and wait patiently for the music to end. Maybe they sing a few of the words to the "cool" worship music and, God forbid (it says no where in the Bible that raising your hands in worship is a sin, although some of the stares may say otherwise), raise there hands a little so people think they might be "Christians." Then they sit down, listen to what the pastor has to say, write a few notes so it looks as if they are interested, and then finish out their "Christian" duty by talking a little after the service. Before they can get to their car, they have forgotten what the message was about and they are already thinking about the football game or the beach that afternoon. Their "Christian" duty is done. What duty? To come to church and be "served" their weekly helping of God?

Why do I know so much about this? Because I've been there. I was "that guy" thinking I had God all figured out and everyone else fooled into thinking I was a good "Christian." Sure, I did some "extra" stuff. I helped out with the youth group some and was on the Carpet Color Committee. But it was empty service. Why, you might say? Because I was not serving with my heart; I was waiting to be served. Waiting to be served that line, "You are doing a great job serving god" (notice the little G in god there).

I have found a new level of service over the past few years. Service is an attitude. Service is a mentality that permeates your entire soul. I heard a great quote today in church, "You discover the heart of God through service." I also self-discovered that I am not a drummer, I am a servant. Calling me a drummer implies that I have some sort of status over another. Not the case. I am but a humble servant of Christ, peddling my abilities in order to serve an awesome and wonderful God through music.

I also finished the book of Joshua today. In Chapter 24, Joshua addresses the tribes of Israel before his death and point blank tells them what will happen when they serve God, and when they serve any other gods. "Now therefore fear the Lord and SERVE him in SINCERITY and FAITHFULNESS. Put away the gods" (that's not just pagan gods) "that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and SERVE the Lord" [vs.14].

Serve the Lord. Serve the Lord with SINCERITY and FAITHFULNESS. We must serve with our whole heart. We must serve with a sincere heart. We must serve with unwavering faith that God is there for us when we need Him, not just for us and our selfish interests, but for us in what we are doing for Him.

Be the servant, not the served.

Your humble servant,
Jesus Freak Out!

5 comments:

-michael... said...

Excellent point. There is a great Mark Driscoll moment on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUQyRTK6dQo

Blaine Albright said...

awesome post, bro. it is an honor to serve with you.

Hal Mayer said...

Oh yeah baby- great stuff thru Joshua

David Preiser said...

couldn't have said any better

Tidbits of Torah said...

Something that nonjews should think about:

Yirmiyahu (Jeremiah) 16:19-20"To You the nations will come from the distant parts of the land" and they will confess, 'Our ancestors inherited falsehood, futility that has no purpose. Can a man make a god? The man not being a god?'"... Read More

The Jewish nation that has kept Torah (G-d's commandments) throughout time are not the ones that will go to other nations to say we have inheirted falsehood. No friends, it is the nations that have inherited falsehood.

Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 40:18
"To whom can you liken God? Or what likeness can you compare to him?"

Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 42:8
"I am G-d; that is My Name. I will not grant My honor to anyone else or My glory to idols."

Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 43:10
"You are My witnesses," says G-d, "and My servant whom I chose," in order that you know and believe Me, and understand that I am He; before Me no god was formed and after Me none shall be."

Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 43:11" I am G-d, I alone. There is no Savior besides Me."

Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 45:5
"Thus says G-d, the King of Israel and its Redeemer, the L-rd of Hosts, "I am the first and I am the last, and there is no god besides Me."

Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 45:22
"Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth, for I am G-d, and there is no other."

Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 46:5
"To whom can you liken Me and whom can you declare My equal? To what can you compare Me that we should seem similar?"

Once again: those that have ears - hear. Yirmiyahu (Jeremiah) 16:19-20"To You the nations will come from the distant parts of the land" and they will confess, 'Our ancestors inherited falsehood, futility that has no purpose. Can a man make a god? The man not being a god?'"

The Jewish nation that has kept Torah (G-d's commandments) throughout time are not the ones that will go to other nations to say we have inheirted falsehood. No friends, it is the nations that have inherited falsehood. Please repent before the Holy One - Blessed be He - says your time on earth is over. Come learn from the nation that G-d said would be "the light to the nations."